A detailed summary of the life changer- everything you need to know about the book and the author.
Khadija Abubakar Jalli is an entrepreneur and CEO of a boutique, she holds a B.Sc(Ed) degree in mathematics, and she is a married woman with children.
Table of Contents
The casts and their roles: Summary of the life changer
- Ummi Ahmad- the major character and narrator of the story
- Salma Muhammed- the Hero and ummi’s friend in the university days
- Bint- ummi’s 4th and last daughter
- Jamila- ummi’s 3rd daughter
- Teemah- ummi’s 2nd daughter
- Omar- ummi’s only son and 1st child
- Mallam Salihu- Bint’s class teacher
- Tomiwa- Salma’s roommate and closest friend
- Ngozi- Salma’s roommate
- Ada- Salma’s roommate
- Honorable Habib- Speaker of the house of assembly and Tomiwa’s boyfriend
- Labaran- Hon Habib’s friend, driver, and Salma’s boyfriend
- Kolawole Abdul- the brightest student in Salma’s department and her boyfriend as well
- John- the office cleaner
- Samuel Johnson(Samjohn)- Ummis’s HOD
- Hakimi- the village(Lafayette) leader
- Dr. Kabir Muhammed- Laboratory Technologist( not really a doctor) and a gambler
- Professor Dabo- a highly respected lecturer and a no-nonsense man
- Alhaji Adamu- the neighbor Zaki and Talle kidnapped his son
- Zaki- dealer in car spare parts and a merchant thug
- Talle- the quiet one, driver, kidnapper, and a smuggler later on
- The Katargi- the leader of the gamblers
- Gumuzu- the gambler thug who attacked Kabir
- Salim- Salma’s Husband to-be
- Lawal- Salim’s friend
- Natasha- Salim’s estranged girlfriend near Lafayette and a thief
- Roger- A thief
Summary of the life changer: Summary of chapter 1
-This chapter started out with Ummi eavesdropping on her daughters when she heard them all laughing hysterically from their room.
-Turned out Bint was narrating the ordeal that happened in her school between herself and Mr. Salihu to them, she had earlier answered a question the class teacher asked correctly in French and made the teacher struggle to answer her question in French as well until he sought the attention of the French mistress from the senior class.
-Omar hurriedly arrived home and broke the news of him getting admitted to study law at the Kongo campus ABU to the family, he had earlier acquired 7credits in his SSCE and scored 230 in JAMB.
-The chapter made it known that the name of Ummi’s community is called lafayette.
Summary of the life changer: Summary of chapter 2
-Ummi made it known to Omar and the other children that the admission means a life changer for Omar and further went on to state the reason why she believed so by narrating her experiences in the university and citing other reasons which are listed below-
- The carefree attitude of people on the university campus.
- Inability to easily differentiate between lecturers and students as no one wears school uniforms like they do in secondary schools.
- The freedom of dressing and immodest forms of dressings on our campuses.
-She then went on to narrate the story of Salma and Talle the quiet one.
Summary of chapter 3
-Talle’s story narration began in this chapter by Ummi, she made it known that Talle lost his mother immediately after he was birthed and that he was raised by his stepmom, however, the woman died in a car accident alongside Talle’s father when he was barely 20years old.
-Talle was, later on, involved in a kidnapping crime with Zaki, an act which was in contrast to his dubbed nickname, and was apprehended by the policemen while he was at Hakimi’s place.
Summary of chapter 4
-The meeting of the sister-roommates(Salma, Tomiwa, Ngozi, and Ada)
-The introduction of their native foods, Salma(snail), Ada(rat), Salma(danwake)
-Salma meeting labaran and Hon.Habib
Summary of the life changer: Summary of chapter 5
-Salma gave out Tomiwa’s phone number to Hon. Habib.
-Tomiwa meeting labaran and Hon. Habib.
-Salma regrettably got jealous when she saw how much things were bought for Tomiwa in her first outing with the hon, which almost led to fighting between her and Tomiwa.
Summary of chapter 6
-Salma and the other girls wrote their final exams(moral philosophy).
-Salma was caught cheating in the exam hall, she had earlier asked kola to help her with the questions and he wrote answers on the paper and passed it to her.
-Salma was taken to the HOD’s office and was subsequently taken to the examination committee which led to her expulsion from the university.
Summary of chapter 7
-This chapter revealed that Salma was sexually exploited by Hon. Habib when she went to him for help and she was given the sum of three hundred thousand nairas after the act.
-Salma paid one hundred thousand nairas to Dr. Kabir who pretentiously presented himself as one of the examination committee members, she literally was seeking some sort of connections in the university to help ease her punishment.
-It was revealed here that Kola and Salma were dating as well.
Summary of chapter 8
-Zaki’s relationship with Hon. Habib was unveiled here, turned out he was responsible for the kidnapping of Alhaji Adamu’s son( the crime committed by Zaki and Talle) in order to punish Alhaji Adamu.
-Talle was rumored here to have become a smuggler in the neighboring village after his release from the prison
Summary of the life changer: Summary of chapter 9
-Emphasis on the negative effect of social media was made here by Ummi, she did this by citing the experience of Salim with Natasha and Roger.
The life-changer is a story that is written by the author in order to prepare students for life at higher institutions as well as let them know the consequences of unruly campus life. This post majored in a well-detailed summary of all of its nine chapters to help prepare the students who are willing to write the forthcoming JAMB, we hope this helps and covers all of the questions you might be asked in your exams. Thank you and do not forget to drop your comments and questions in the comment section below.