IBM Master the Mainframe Contest is the largest student mainframe contest in the world, the 2022 edition is the 14th of this program in a row and it comes with a variety of new tasks as well as new prizes for students around the world. The Master the Mainframe Contest provides students with an avenue and opportunity to win prizes while acquiring unique skills that may serve as a guide for them to land a career in any of the fortune 500 companies around the world with very little or no experience demanded.
Table of Contents
At IBM, the belief is that what really matters in the display of intelligence and reasoning is its application to improve business, society, and the human condition. IBMer is the greatest invention by the IBM group, read more about IBM from the official page provided in the link below.
About the IBM Master the Mainframe Contest
The IBM contest is a unique, virtual contest that is open all over the world to both high-school and college students in other to effectively promote and teach the mainframe skills to students in a real-world enterprise computing environment. The IBM Master the Mainframe contest is one of those platforms employers from around the globe use to seek out potential candidates for mainframe careers.
This Contest major in 3 different types as highlighted below-
Part 1: (Learning the Basics)- This is where students are made to meet and acquaint themselves with the IBM Z mainframe and the user interfaces. Students are expected to master the basic concepts and data structures in this part. Detailed and well-outlined instructions to complete the preceding tasks in part 1 and to set you up for success in the forthcoming part will be given to students by IBM.
Part 2: (Practices)- Students in this practice section will be made to program the following (advanced commands, system setup, as well as system navigation), also, students are going to be made to develop the following as practices (C, JAVA, COBOL, Assembler and REXX) and experiences challenges related to operating systems on IBM Z.
Part 3: (Try Challenges)- In this part, students are expected to use real-life problems encountered by professional programmers to crawl deeper into the system by making research and trying to find unique and lasting solutions to such occurrences. This quality and challenging ability by contestants is one of the necessary tools that can easily be used to test and identify those that are genuinely determined to Master the Mainframe among the candidates.
Type of Competition:
The IBM Master the mainframe is a CONTEST type of competition
How Many Awards are Given out?
The number of awards given out to successful IBM Master the Mainframe candidates are NUMEROUS
Value of IBM Master the Mainframe Contest Awards
The IBM contest awards vary and their various estimated values are carefully outlined below, students are implored to carefully learn the prizes that come with their successes below
Part 1: (Learning the Basics)
- Prizes Awarded in this phase goes thus-
- 300 students will be selected randomly among the first 2000 students to complete the first phase contest and will be rewarded with a $25 worth of gift cards respectively
Part 2: (Practices)
The following prizes are awarded in this phase-
- Cash prizes
- The first 150 students to complete the contest will be rewarded with a $100 worth of gift cards
- Exclusive QTUM Computer Webinar and Q&A invite
- Will earn invitation to randomly chosen 25 from successful candidates from the part 2 challenges
Part 3: (Try challenge)
Successful students are rewarded in this phase as follows-
- A total sum of $2,750 as travel stipends and IBM Master the Mainframe Hoodie will be given to the top 2 individuals from each region respectively
Grand Prize for the IBM master the mainframe contest-
- A $1,000 USD prize pack will be given to the top 3 individuals globally
Other benefits that come with the grand prize include-
- Unprecedented exposure to different soft-wares, systems and products
- Earning an enterprise computing open badge for your resume and social presence to attract and impress potential employers, “hope that triggers your excitement”
- Pertaining in this competition might even help secure you a job!
Eligibility Criteria for the IBM Master the Mainframe Contest
The IBM contest is open to-
- Students who are currently enrolled at a high school or university- experience is not a pre-requisite for the contest.
- Students who are willing to learn the skills to be thought in the contest, and are determined to ensure their own progression to the next phase as the competition difficulty increases.
Eligible Regions for the IBM Master the Mainframe Contest
Only applicants from this list of regions will be allowed to participate in this contest
- North America, Latin America, South Asia, APAC, MEA, and Europe
January 17, 2022.
The deadline for this contest usually falls in January.
How to Apply for the IBM Contest
Are you qualified and interested in participating? Click on www.ibm.com to get started and complete your application process