The Fulbright-Nehru postdoctoral research fellowships are specifically designed to help researchers in India. These fellowships target Indian researchers who are in the early stages of their careers in the country.
The postdoctoral research fellowship is aimed to serve as a chance for advancement for talented researchers and faculties in a bid to help strengthen their career goals and research capacities.
The Fulbright-Nehru postdoctoral research fellowships awardees will be provided with the opportunities to work with some of the finest materials in their various areas of interest.
This is going to facilitate greater productivity in their research processes and will help build a long-term relationship between the postdoctoral fellows and the United States faculty and institutions.
These postdoctoral fellowships go on for a duration of 8-24 months.
Table of Contents
Brief Introduction to the Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships Program:
Funding Agency for the Fellowship Program: United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF)
Major Courses Covered: All Science Disciplines
Purpose of the Fellowship Program: The Fulbright-Nehru postdoctoral research fellowships are specifically designed for research purposes
Approved Courses for the Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships:
Applications are invited only to those who are specialized in the list of approved courses below-
- Agricultural Sciences
- Computer Science- this includes cyber security, digital economy, quantum computing, artificial intelligence, machine learning and big data analytics, and other computer-related courses
- Education Policy and Planning
- Energy Studies
- Geography- this includes both Geography information systems and Geology
- Language and Literature
- Materials Science- Most importantly about environmental applications
- Mathematical Sciences
- Performing Arts
- Political Science- Comprising International Security, Strategic Studies, and other politics-related courses
- Public Health- the public health faction includes but is not limited to the following: preparing fellows for the pandemic, comprehensive surveillance (genomic surveillance, sewage surveillance, sero-surveillance
- Public Policy
- Urban and Regional Planning- with greater focus and emphasis on waste management and smart cities
- Visual Arts
- Gender Studies
Aims and Benefits of the Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships:
The postdoctoral fellows will benefit from the following grants
- A monthly stipend will be allotted to each fellow
- J-1 visa support will be provided for fellows
- A complete round-trip economy class air travel
- Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines
- Provisions will be made for a modest allowance to considerably enable fellows to settle in
- Professional allowance
- Subject to availability of funds, a dependent allowance, and international travel may be provided for one accompanying eligible dependent provided the dependent is with the grantee in the U.S. for at least 80 percent of the grant period.
Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
The eligibility requirements for the program In addition to the basic prerequisites include:
- A Ph.D. or a D.M. degree whose age from the period of being awarded to the applicant to the period of the fellowship application is within four years must be presented by the applicant.
- This implies that applicants for the 2024 postdoctoral fellowship program must have obtained a Ph.D. degree in their previous institution of learning between August 17, 2021, and August 16, 2024. Applicants are required to upload these certificates while submitting their online applications
- Applicants for the Fulbright Nehru-postdoctoral research fellowships must have at least once published in a reputable journal and should be able to present proof of professional and outstanding academic achievement. A copy of the applicant’s most recent publication/article which is expected to not exceed 30 pages must be submitted during the online application.
- If an applicant is employed, the following instructions and procedures with respect to your employer’s endorsement must be carefully followed.
You are to obtain the gratifying endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNPostdoc Letter of Support from Home Institution if applicable.
The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. The applicant can download the FNPostdoc Letter of Support from Home Institution from the USIEF website.
Applicants who work under projects funded by the Indian government are also required to get an endorsement from their affiliating institutions in the country.
Note: Applicants should also note that they are required to indicate in their application, the expected date for the completion of their proposed project in the United States.
The grant duration should be carefully determined by every applicant as there will be no room for alteration of the proposed date.
How to Apply for the Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships:
Are you interested and qualified for the program?
- Visit https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2023 to complete and submit your application online.
- Interested applicants are to review and follow the FNPostdoc instructions. This will serve as a guide to completing your application.
- Please refer to FNPostdoc Applicant Checklist before submitting the application
Documents you will need for your Application:
- FNPostdoc Applicant Annexure
- FNPostdoc Letter of Support from Home Institution
The due date for the 2024 application
The Postdoctoral Research Fellowships Partnership/Affiliation:
Successful applicants will be affiliated with one U.S. host institution for their grant.
The USIEF has made it a norm to always recommend the indication of partnership preference for every applicant. This is expected to be in accordance with the goals of the potential host institution.
The letter of invitation should indicate the duration of the visit, preferably with dates. If the applicant has secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, it should be included as a part of the online application.
The Previous Timeline and Placement Procedures for the Fulbright-Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowships:
|August 17, 2022 Application due date for 2023-2024 awards|
|Mid-September 2022 Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates|
|November 2022 USIEF informs the applicants about the review outcome|
|December 2022 National interviews of short-listed candidates|
|Ending of December 2022 USIEF notifies the principal and alternate|
|Mid-January 2023 USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J.William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement.|
|March-April 2023 USIEF notifies finalists|
|May/June 2023 Pre-Departure Orientation|
|August/September 2023 Program begins|